B2B marketers looking for new ways to keep pace with the digital landscape should pay attention to dark social - if they haven't already. ‘Dark social’, which has been a buzzword in the marketing world for a while now, refers to the private sharing of content that traditional analytics tools can't track. This type of sharing is becoming increasingly prevalent, and B2B marketers must stay ahead of the curve in knowing how to leverage this practice,to succeed in the digital space.
What is Dark Social?
Dark social refers to the private sharing of content outside public platforms like Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. This type of sharing can include email, messaging apps, and even SMS. The content shared via dark social can’t be tracked easily by traditional analytics tools as specific attribution is masked, making it a mystery to marketers. However, research shows that a significant portion of social traffic comes from dark social sources, making it a crucial channel for marketers to understand.
How Dark Social Can Help B2B Marketing
Dark social has the potential to help B2B marketers reach a more targeted audience and increase their impact. For example, if a B2B marketer knows that their target audience tends to use a particular messaging app, they can create optimized content for that platform. By focusing on the platforms their audience uses, B2B marketers can increase their chances of success.
Best Practices for Leveraging Dark Social
- Focus on content that encourages sharing: B2B marketers should create highly shareable content, whether a blog post, video, or infographic. By creating content people want to share, B2B marketers increase their chances of reaching a wider audience via dark social.
- Optimize for mobile: Many platforms where dark social occurs, such as messaging apps, are primarily used on mobile devices. B2B marketers must optimize their content for mobile to ensure that it is easily viewable and shareable on these platforms.
- Monitor dark social metrics: B2B marketers must track the success of their dark social efforts, but this can be challenging as traditional analytics tools can’t track dark social. However, there are tools available that can help marketers monitor their dark social impact. For example, tracking codes and Bitly can be used. Additionally, some platforms like Buzzsumo and Hootsuite can help B2B marketers track the number of shares their content receives and which platforms drive the most traffic.
- Use influencer marketing: B2B marketers can use influencer marketing to reach a wider audience and increase their dark social impact. By partnering with influencers who have a strong following in their target market, B2B marketers can tap into a new audience and increase their chances of success.
Dark social is becoming increasingly prevalent in the digital landscape, and B2B marketers must understand the concept and how to leverage it for their campaigns. By focusing on content that encourages sharing, optimizing for mobile, monitoring dark social metrics, and using influencer marketing, B2B marketers can stay ahead of the curve and succeed in the digital space. As B2B marketing continues to evolve, marketers must stay informed.
"Dark Social and SEO: How to Optimize for Search Engines and Maximize Visibility"
The world of digital marketing is ever-evolving, and as B2B event marketers, it's essential to stay ahead of the curve and understand the latest trends and techniques. One of the most significant trends that have been making waves in the marketing world is the concept of dark social. In this blog, we'll explore what dark social is, how it's affecting B2B marketing, and how you can optimize your campaigns for dark social and search engines to maximize visibility and reach your target audience.
What is Dark Social and How Does it Affect B2B Marketing?
Dark social refers to traffic from private channels such as instant messaging apps, email, and even direct URLs shared between individuals. Unfortunately, these traffic sources often need to be tracked and measured by traditional analytics tools, making it difficult to measure their impact on your campaigns.
For B2B event marketers, dark social can significantly impact your campaigns' success. For example, if you're promoting an upcoming event, you may expect a large amount of traffic to your website from social media channels such as LinkedIn or Twitter. But instead, it's highly likely that a significant portion of your website's traffic comes from dark social sources, such as emails shared between colleagues or direct URLs shared between partners.
This lack of visibility into dark social traffic can make it challenging to understand the full impact of your campaigns and make informed decisions about future strategies.
Optimizing for Dark Social and SEO:
- Create Shareable Content: The key to successful dark social optimization is creating shareable and valuable content for your target audience. By creating content that is easy to share and provides value to your audience, you can encourage them to share your content through private channels, helping to drive more traffic to your website.
- Utilize UTM Tracking: Utilizing UTM tracking codes can help you to track the source of your traffic, including dark social sources. By adding UTM parameters to your URLs, you can better understand where your traffic is coming from and make informed decisions about future strategies.
- Invest in High-Quality Production: High-quality production is crucial to ensure your content is engaging and valuable to your target audience. This includes investing in high-quality graphics, videos, and other forms of content that can grab your audience's attention and encourage them to share your content through private channels.
- Focus on Keyword Optimization: Search engine optimization (SEO) is still a critical component of any digital marketing campaign. By focusing on keyword optimization and creating high-quality, relevant content, you can help your website to rank higher in search engine results and increase visibility to your target audience.
In conclusion, dark social is a trend that can significantly impact the success of your B2B marketing campaigns. By optimizing for dark social and SEO, you can maximize visibility to your target audience and drive more traffic to your website. Additionally, by investing in high-quality production, utilizing UTM tracking codes, and focusing on keyword optimization, you can stay ahead of the curve and ensure that your B2B marketing campaigns are a success.